Sunday, April 03, 2005

When in Rome...Plug Your Ears With Wax?

"ROMA LOCUTA EST, CAUSA FINITA EST; UTINAM ALIOQUONDO FINIATUR ERROR." ("Rome has spoken, your cause is finished; I would only that your error were so quickly done with.") So said St. Augustine in Book I of his Sermons. If only that would work these days. Last night on CNN, people were talking about how now that John Paul II (may he rest in peace) is dead, perhaps the new pope will change things like women's ordination. Clearly the word infallible, which was in fact used by the Vatican to describe that particular teaching, has lost all meaning. I'll let Ratzinger deal with them.

The Pope will always be remembered. He was a brilliant philosopher and theologian, staunchly orthodox, who while defending the faith and strengthening the papacy, also reached across religious lines to people of all faiths. His insights into the nature of human sexuality, what it means to be male and female, how that relates to the greater question of what it means to be human, of suffering, evil, death, and life were incredible. Particularly life.

In a time when hedonism has come back up, and a sort of neo-stoicism has arisen, where a life that is unpleasant should be ended immediately (this is called "killing" or "murder" for those of you who don't can't quite wrap your arms around the issue.) he had the courage to say that life is precious, that no matter how bad it gets, we should press on. He was able to draw lines that God knows I don't have the skill to draw, and in a way far too tasteful for it to be mine. His was the papacy of life. He was truly more "humanist" than any of the so-called "humanist popes" of the rennaisance. The human being was always exalted, their very existance a sacred reality. Yet he was always mindful that as great as the creation is, so much greater is the Creator. The more he exalted man, the more he exalted God.

May God bless you, Pope John Paul II. Soon enough, the history books shall call you "St. John Paul the Great" It is with this in mind that I dedicate this site, and I pray to you, now gone Holy Father, to impart upon humanity the wisdom and faith which you aquired in your life, enhanced by your sufferings.

"A Prayer at the Time of Death", by St. Thomas Aquinas:

I recieve You,
Price of my redemption,
I recieve You,
Viaticum of my pilgrimage,
For love of Whom I have
studied
kept vigil
labored
preached
and taught.

Never have I said anything against You.

If I have, it was in ignorance, and I do not persist in my ignorance. If I have taught anything false, I leave correction of it to the Roman Catholic Church.

Amen.


+Ad Majorem Dei Gloram+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home