Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I'm not dead yet!

+JMJ+

For those of you wondering, no I am not dead. I was not ill. I was busy and burnt out, sometimes both. Between final exams and vigourous defenses of the Church and Benedict (one literally lasting all night long) I have been busy.

In happy news, I have indeed been accepted to join the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits, for the uninitiated) as a novice next August 14th. Fortuneatly, this did not ruin our acceptance into St. Blog's parish, particularly with the orthodoxy examination. I love my order, and wouldn't join any but they, but I'm the first to admit that there's more than a small number of progressives among them. Gone are the days when the Jesuits were feared and known for their ultra-loyalty to the pope. Now that mantle seems to have passed on to Opus Dei, although we've still got our fourth vow of special obedience to the pope (we just break it a lot, you see). (begin fantasy) No, no, a mere three vows is not enough for your average Jesuit. The masses say "no more, no more! We're avowed enough as it is!" Not Jesuits. With a steely look reminiscent of Kevin Bacon in Animal House, we cry out "Thank you sir, may I please have another!" (end fantasy)

One thing's for sure: nobody seems to take good ol' St. Ignatius seriously anymore when he says things like "We should always be disposed to believe that that which appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the Church so decides" . (That's a real St. Ignatius quote, btw)

But at any rate, I am now on my way to being a Jesuit, and if I play my cards right, I might actually be ordained in time to retire.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloram+
P.S. For those of you wondering, yes I do plan on doing two more posts on Capital Punishment. However, they are involved enough that I have decided to wait until after finals are over and I have a bit more time on my hands to write them out and give them the quality treatment they so well deserve.
" 'My country, right or wrong' is a thing that no patriot would thing of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober.' "
-G.K. Chesterton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home