Friday, May 13, 2005

New Inquisitor Named

LevadaThis was announced on Friday- the 13th- Our Lady of Fatima, anyone?

It's Archbishop Levada, of San Francisco, CA. I've seen quite a few interesting reactions on this, especially considering the problems in the diocese he helped to run. This appointmentmakes me think that (WARNING: Rambling):

I trust our Pope- and I think this may be a very good thing. Doctrinally, Levada seems to be orthodox, and B16 worked with him on both the Catechism (Levada was the ONLY American) and in the CDF for many years.

Levada is used to working with dissedents. He was assigned to San Fransico because of his orthodoxy. Working in a liberal diocese in a liberal area of the United States, I can see how Levada may be orthodox, and will now has a chance to really stretch his theological muscles. This move might also be seen as B16 sending a clear message that he knows what is happening in the US, and someone in a high position from our own backyard will be watching and correcting the Church in America. I have faith in my Pope-he knows what he is doing!

On the other hand, for those of you who think Levada is a bit to heterodox- what a better place for him to be than under B16's nose? And either way, this appointment leaves a hole in the Archdiocese, and a chance for B16 to appoint someone totally new, and give some fresh air to the area.

In addition, the Latino population is a HUGE part of our Church- and the Pope appoints a Latino as the new head of the CDF.

Here is a good speech by him I ran across, for anyone interested- Whoever is not with me is against me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home