Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Thank Heaven for Little Girls"

+JMJ+

For the uncultured among you, the title is a reference to the song that Maurice Chevalier sang in Gigi (the Broadway version as well as the movie, from what I am reliably told).

Yesterday, two young girls had set up what looked at first glance to be a lemonade stand. After he came back from his daily run, my dad suggested that I go out and buy two cups, seeing as how I had two quarters in my pocket anyways. I went, although instead of finding lemonade as I expected, I found childrens books there. They were so excited to have a customer that I decided to buy two books instead of the lemonade. The two girls were very nice and polite, and the older of the two (at the age of what looked to be five) was even kind enough to tell me which of the books there was her favorite, presumably to aid my selection. I picked out two books, one on the Pledge of Allegiance and Read to Your Bunny by Rosemary Wells, paid and thanked them, and then went on my merry way.

I suppose if there is a lesson to be gained from this, it is that when a couple of kids set up a selling stand, and they are clearly putting in a good effort as these two were to sell it and show courtesy to the customers and whatnot, I'd make it a rule of thumb to buy something from them. General advice. Of course, if they are rude, lazy, put forth no effort, etc., I leave it to your discretion, but on the whole, I think it makes a good rule.

One thing is certain, though. If the kid is selling books and tells you which one is their favorite, under no circumstances are you to buy it. Donate a quarter and complement them, or take the book and give it back as a gift, but never buy it. They'll be thankful for that later on.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloram+
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
-John Lehman (Secretary of the Navy from 1981-7)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home