Sunday, June 05, 2005

Long Literary Laundry Lists

+JMJ+
I have been "tagged" by Jimmy Akin in his blog when he said that whoever reads his post may consider themselves tagged for the book meme that is floating about. Fj's are in green.
1) Total number of books I own-254 somewhere over 500 (several bookshelves, two tubs that take up ALL of under the bed, several boxes..and then some).
2) The last book I bought- God, by St. Thomas Aquinas (No, really, that's the title of it! Think back to my book list post, and all shall be clear.) The Catechism of the Council of Trent (that's what happens when I go to half-price books...)
3) The last book I read was- Well, I finished that abridged version of Augustine's Confessions Friday, but I don't think that counts because (see my previous post for why). The last unabridged book that I read cover to cover was The Priest is Not His Own, by Bl. Archbishop Fulton Sheen, which in my humble opinion was absolutely magnificent.
Padre Pio, by Fr. Carty
4) Five books that mean a lot to me- Having provided a list of the books I would take with me over all others, I am now going to attempt to make a list of five that are not on that list, which sadly leaves out the Bible.
  1. The Boy Scout Handbook I am an Eagle Scout. I will always be an Eagle Scout. Outside of theology classes in high school and those dreadful C.C.E. classes I went to before that, what I learned about character, morals, leadership, values, speaking my opinions with confidence (which we see now I have no problem doing) and yes, even faith, I owe to the Boy Scouts. So I place their book on here in a debt of gratitude.
  2. Henry V by William Shakespeare This and Hamlet are both wildly influential with the literary love affair that I have with the Bard. I picked this one over Hamlet because a) I like this one a little better and b) it was after watching Kenneth Branagh's version of it that I decided to go out for the theatre, a decision that has affected me in more ways than I can count.
  3. The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk I am an absolute sucker for naval literature (accounted for in part by the fact that had I not chosen the Jesuits, I would be in an NROTC program for the U.S. Navy right now) and its a very good book by a very good author, who wrote some of the last stuff in this century that I am familiar with to employ crazy literary devices such as symbolism, and whose idea of a well crafted scene features more than a copious use of adjectives.
  4. Dune by Frank Herbert. Dang good sci-fi book. (Bit of trivia: The Bene Gesserit order were inspired by Herbert's aunts, who constantly tried to convert him to Catholicism, who he derisively termed "the female Jesuits". If you sound it out right, there is a certain similarity between the pronunciation of the two words.)
  5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding Excellent study of the darker side of humanity. If you ever get someone who doesn't believe in Original Sin or the fallen nature of humans, sit them down with this book.

This is not a nice question! Not a nice question at all!

We've decided to add a new question in place of the "who do you tag?" one, since the answers to that one as of late are invariably "whoever reads this".

5) Book(s) you are reading currently- I read several books at the same time, so here they are:

  1. God
  2. City of God-St. Augustine
  3. The First Created Man-St. Symeon the New Theologian (a Greek Orthodox theologian who lived shortly before the Schism, which I suppose would make him still Catholic, but we don't seem to talk about him much, whereas the Greeks do, so I suppose they have something of a claim on him.)
  4. Treatise on the Trinity (from the S.Theol.)

  1. Catechism of the Council of Trent
  2. The Four Witnesses-Rod Bennett
  3. Theology and Sanity-Frank Sheed
  4. Tathea-Anne Perry
  5. Various Biology Textbooks


+Ad Majorem Dei Glorem+

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

-Mark Twain (S.L. Clemens)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home