Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Michelle's Photo Caption

+JMJ+

Sometimes even an apologist needs an apologist, it seems. Yesterday, Michelle Arnold, of JimmyAkin.org, put up a post with a photo edited to have President Clinton's face on a Sacred Heart image. My own post at what is currently the bottom of the combox for the post:
For those out there that didn't like it: lighten up. It wasn't sacrilege, it wasn't a sin. It was incredibly absurd, and because of that very absurdity, pretty doggone hilarious, in my humble opinion.

For the person who thinks that President Bush deserves to be at Jesus' right hand (aptly named "farrightfan"), two things:
1) You're telling me that of all the saints and devoted servants that have lived and are now in heaven, including John Paul and other popes, St. Thomas Aquinas, all the Apostles and martyrs, St. Augustine, etc., GWB tops them all? Forgive me if I'm not a tad dubious about that.
2) Read Matthew 20
Some of those comments were just plain mean. No other way to put it. You have an opinion, that's fine, go ahead and express it. This is America, so you can do that here. But if you are going to express that opinion, do it politely. Otherwise, people just don't listen to you. Being from the South, good manners are quite important to me, you see. For those who have a mind to go and make another harsh comment expressing your displeasure: lay off.

Anyone who is a parishoner here at St. Blog's can tell you that it's not always easy, and sometimes you can put a lot out on the line when you go into a potentially controversial issue. I take constructive criticism gratefully, since it helps me better get out the idea that I am trying to get out, and also helps me better find the Church's own views sometimes. But helpful admonitions, gentle rebukes, and yes, even the playful ribbings that are so common in the Parish are different than some of the stuff I saw there that I can only describe as nasty.

Forgive my abruptness and unusual lack of civility, but as you can see, this has me extremely incenced.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+

"In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity."
-St. Augustine (emphasis mine)

3 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous susie said...

not that this has anything to do with the post, but i was having a discussion with a friend on absolutism, which he claims does not exist... that nothing is absolute except for God because nothing else will be true and stand the test of time. now since i am not nearly as smart as you guys, i was wondering if you could help me out here in explaining absolutism to my friend. (that and i'd love to know what you think!)
God bless,
-susie, your fellow rcia team member who feels completely unknowledgeable next to you guys
p.s. love the blog

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger David said...

Be glad to! Give me a little bit to get some stuff together, work together an argument, etc., and all will be well.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger fj said...

Uh-Oh...you opended a fav. subject. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home