Thursday, June 16, 2005

A New Cause for Canonization

+JMJ+

I've got a fantastic idea. Bear with me, please. Normally, when a Jesuit starts off a sentence with these words, a request for priestesses, a suggestion for more liturgical dancing, or perhaps incorporating time into the mass for some quality yoga will follow. Fortunately for us all, I am reliably informed that I am far from normal.

I was thinking yesterday evening, and the question occured to me: is there a cause for cannonization for G.K. Chesterton? I checked it out, and sure enough, there is not. Personally, I can't think of any reason. From all I know of him, he lived a good and virtuous life following his conversion and was a devoted Catholic, giving vigorous defenses of the faith, particularly against skeptics and modernists.

I'm dead serious. I really do want to see a cause for cannonization opened for G.K. Chesterton. The process calls for Chesterton's home diocese to begin the inquiry. Near as I can figure, this is the Archdiocese of Westminster, which contains within it the greater London area. I urge you all to contact them to suggest that an investigation be opened. Lacking any permanent tribunal for the matter, their contact is enquiries@rcdow.org.uk. If you could please, any fellow bloggers here in St. Blog's Parish are also asked to encourage their own readers to join in the petition. (While we're at it, perhaps we should ask if they would look into getting Westminster Abbey back from the Anglicans? Seems only fair to me.)

Perhaps the biggest hurdle for the cause is his name. St. Gilbert? He never went by Gilbert that I know of. St. G.K., then? Perhaps we can just keep calling him G.K. Chesterton and remember he's a saint without actually putting it on any of his books and such. If he were to be canonized, though, I think he would be a good patron for apologists, Thomists, and of course, common sense (That really goes hand in hand with Thomists, though).

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+
"Psychoanalysis is confession without absolution."
-G.K. Chesterton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home