Monday, June 20, 2005

Oh, Sweet Mysteries of Life...

+JMJ+

Quite frequently, when I am reading something out of the Bible, I like to check it against the translation of the Douay-Rheims version. Not owning one of my own, I use the one that is linked off of the New Advent website, http://drbo.org/. A few days ago I was looking around at some of the features that they have at that site, such as the preface, note on the translation, etc. It didn't take me more than a few minutes to suspect that it was kept up by someone affilliated with the SSPX. Probably the biggest giveaway was the link to Angelus Press, where it said on the side "offers books pertaining to the modern errors in the Church."

The moment I read the tag, I laughed pretty hard. The first thing that came to mind, actually, was this line from the Summa that deals with the mass. For those who are unfamiliar, after Aquinas gets done presenting the opposing arguments on any given topic, frequently he will introduce a contrary opinion, possibly a quote from Scripture or an authority, or some pertinent piece of information. This isn't necessarily to prove his point, but more to get his foot in the door so that he can proceed to do so. In that particular section, Aquinas is examining whether or not the liturgy is improper or defective. The contrary that he gives is
On the contrary: The custom of the Church stands for these things: and the Church cannot err...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it really is the little things in life that make it so enjoyable.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+

"All in all, no human thing is of serious importance."
-Plato

1 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger fj said...

"offers books pertaining to the modern errors in the Church."

Does that also not imply that there are older errors as well? LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home