Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Bishop DeLaney

My bishop died in his sleep this morning :(. It wasn't totally unexpected, as he had pancreatic cancer, but it's still a shock. His successor, Msgr. Vann, was supposed to be ordained [edit: ack, I didn't mean ordained, can't think of the word, you know what I mean:)] tomorrow morning. Bishop DeLaney was the one who confirmed me, and I grew up in his diocese. I wish I had a picture of him, but none of mine are online; here is a pretty good one from the diocese website. I ask that you all will please pray for him.

4 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I think that deacons are "ordained" priests, even though they have already received one degree of the Sacrament of Orders. I think that when priests become bishops, they are also ordained. Isn't that right? Vann wasn't already an auxiliary was he? Wasn't he just a priest?

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah. Catholic Hierarchy dot com says he was "Ordained Bishop on July 13." He had been appointed as coadjutor in May but never ordained bishop.

http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/
bishop/bvannk.html

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Publius said...

"edit: ack, I didn't mean ordained, can't think of the word, you know what I mean:)"

While Jeff is right (AFAIK) that "ordained" is correct, I think the word you were looking for was probably "consecrated".

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger C S said...

I pray for bishop Delaney and for soon-to-be-Bishop Vann. Your diocese is blessed to have him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home