Sunday, July 17, 2005

Now I've gone and done it...

Well I've gone and done it. I read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

My sister attended a party-thing when she got the book, read it with her friends that night (fri-sat am), and I grabbed it about 7pm on Sat night and finished it at 12:40. I wish I could do that with Aquinas! There should not be any spoilers below. I know most people haven't read it yet, so I kept it very bland as to what is revealed.

My initial reaction to the book was disappointment. This one simply came nowhere near to my expectations. J.K.'s writing style has changed a bit, as has the whole perspective of the series. This book sets up everything that is to follow, and that, I think, is why I was disappointed. I also did not like seeing two typos on the first page! Geesh. Although I will blame the editor for those, and not the author. Anyhow, a book like this was due to come out at some point, and this one does wrap up many, many lose ends, opens quite a few more, and leaves off ready to plunge into the second half of the adventure (and once you read it you'll know what that sentence means ).

The twists this time around were, in all honesty, predictable. The Half-Blood Prince was who I thought it'd be, as the character killed off- and those were supposed to be the big twists of this book. I was quite upset that the wedding was left out of the book!

What I immensely enjoyed in this one- the part I was not disappointed in- was the further revelation Lord Voldemort's history and development. There is now further insight into who he is and how he came to be that way. I love reading motives into actions (you can predict more of what is to happen) and now we know quite a bit more about him.

Remember all the stir when it was said the 5th book was so much darker than the rest? This one isn't. It is a bit dark- it has to be, look at the overallplot of the series- but overall takes a much lighter tone than book #5, even with character X dying.

I'm very much looking forward to Cnytr's take on it; she always has a neat perspective.

So, all in all, it is a necessary and needed book, it will span the transition nicely, and I'll leave you with this quote:

"Meanwhile the Hogwart Library had failed Hermione for the first time... "I haven't found a single explanation of what [they] do! Not a single one! I've been through the restricted section and even in the most horrible books, where they tell you how to brew the most gruesome potions- nothing!"

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Publius said...

"The twists this time around were, in all honesty, predictable. The Half-Blood Prince was who I thought it'd be, as the character killed off- and those were supposed to be the big twists of this book."

Regarding character X dying, I am not so sure it was meant, or at least expected, to be such a big twist. It was really a matter of literary necessity and I was rather surprised when X didn't die in book 5 (and that it was instead Y who died). Even without the leak a few months ago, I don't see how it could be a surprise but still, it had to be done.

As for the Half-Blood Prince, that was pretty predictable given the subject of the HPB's marginalia, though the age of the book did throw me off for a while.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger fj said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought so!

Two of my sister's friends were crying after they read that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home