Thursday, August 04, 2005

I Love Books!

+JMJ+

I really enjoy books. When I was in grade school, I was the nerd who would be reading during lunch instead of talking to others. When I stand in line at the post office or anything of that nature, I have a book with me. I recall the last time I was at Disney World, I had with me Shakespeare's The Scottish Play-y'know, the one about the dude who shall remain nameless that killed a king on the advice of three witches- both to read and to memorize, as I almost played the part of the aforementioned dude. I may not be doing theatre, but I still honor the traditions (go figure!). Memorizing the "Is this a dagger I see before me?" soliloquy as I stand in line for "It's a Small World After All" is a very fond and interesting memory (and perhaps an explanation to my peculiarities).

So when I see a list such as this, I get very, very curious. It is a list of the top 100 books published in the 20th century. Below are the ones that I have read. Not very many, I'm afraid. I've never been much for 20th century literature-if you want to call it that.


The Power and the Glory
by Graham Greene- a must for any seminarian, in my humble opinion. It is one of the few books I will be taking along with me to the novitiate.

The Aubrey/Maturin Novels by Patrick O'Brian- that's 20 books, actually, and I have only read the first one, Master and Commander. Pretty good, although my first loyalty as far as naval literary heroes will always be the intrepid Captain Horatio Hornblower. Why he did not make the list is a mystery to me.

Jacob Have I Loved
by Katherine Paterson-It has been too long since I've read it (6th grade) to give a good review, but I remember liking it, and was thinking about it just the other day. Wonders never cease.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+

"A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author."
-G.K. Chesterton

UPDATE
: Goodness, where are my manners? You'd think I was a Yankee, from what I just did (sorry, Seeker)! Nod to Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve (also in Boston) over at Open Wide the Doors for Christ for the link.

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Briana said...

Captain Horatio Hornblower...I love that name. It bugs me to hear Horatio so many times while I watch CSI:Miami, but that show just kinda stinks anyway.

Oh, and I know what play you're talking about, but that's a giant duh considering who's talking here. Have you seen The Simpsons episode where they go to England and run into Sir Ian McKellen? That's a funny little scene.

And bringing a book anytime one must wait in line is a good idea, which you did when we went to go see that sneak preview. You didn't really read much of it since you enjoyed talking about what it was about.

Later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home